Monday, December 9, 2013

Online Textbooks

As technology is becoming such a large part of the classroom, versions of textbooks are becoming available as online editions.  Through what I have experienced, there are both positive and negative aspects to using an online math textbook.  In order to get the most out of using an online textbook, the user must be familiar with all of the components provided.  A student’s confusion or misunderstanding with these different functions throughout the website can prevent the student from being able to use the resource to learn.  My first experience using an online textbook was in Calculus II, during college.  In the beginning of the course, I was not familiar with this online source and I tried to avoid using it because it only caused me confusion.  I finally realized how necessary this resource was in passing the course, so I began to educate myself on the different aspects of the online text.  There were so many different things that I was then able to do and use to enhance my learning.  In many online math textbooks, especially for younger audiences, the layout is easy to follow and understand.  There is usually a side menu bar that organizes the website into the different tasks that you can complete.  This usually consists of a search bar, a link for each chapter of the book, chapter quizzes, chapter tests, practice games, vocabulary reviews, and more.  The benefit of these extra programs being available to students is limitless, but also depends on the particular student’s motivation and study habits.  Online textbooks provide students with the newest available editions of the text at a much more efficient method.  Students no longer have to transport textbooks between home and school to complete assignments.  The school district is also saving money by using online textbooks because the cost is much cheaper than purchasing hundreds of hard copies.  In order to prevent student confusion and avoidance of using the textbook, teachers should educate students on how to properly use the functions of the textbook at the beginning of the school year.  By doing so the students will understand what is available to them just by using their online textbook.   Using online textbooks will continue to expand and will especially benefit the students using online math textbooks because they will be provided with so many more examples, tutorials, and activities to help them understand the content.

3 comments:

  1. I think that the struggle between

    physical books and ebooks is far from over, and your experience in

    your class is a perfect example. In an ideal world, we would use

    electronic materials because they are *easier* to use than textbooks.

    I think that it will take a lot of time and effort to find a way to

    present materials in a better way online, whether it is through apps

    or websites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found using online textbooks get me engaged in more than a regular textbook. I would usually skip over all the extras in a book and side comments, but online there are activities and they seem more fun to work with. I don't like looking at the computer screen for too long tho so I do miss regular old books, but this is a really great technology for many reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rented my first online textbook this summer when I was taking a general education math course. At first, I too was opposed to the idea, but after a while it really grew on me! The one thing I loved was that there were multiple ways to view a problem. My online textbook allowed me to watch video demonstrations as well as view in-print examples. The other thing I loved was the control + find option! I could search an entire textbook in a matter of seconds. SO much faster than looking through the index. eTexbooks are great.

    ReplyDelete