Monday, December 9, 2013

Class Website

In order to provide students with necessary information at home, many school districts provide teachers with websites that are linked to the school’s homepage.  Depending on the teacher’s preference they are able to create attached links for each class use them to however they think they will benefit the students best.  As a math teacher, there would be many different purposes that I would use a website for.  Having a calendar on the website that provides your students with what information was covered in class, the homework for the night, project due dates, and test and quizzes would be very helpful for students and parents to remain organized and on track with the class.  If a student was absent and is able to make up the work, it will be posted on the calendar and will prevent them from being behind the rest of the class.  The class website can also have the link to the online textbook, if one is being used, as well as links to helpful sources related to the topic being studied.  Documents can also be uploaded to the website to be downloaded and accessed outside of school.  Overall, I believe that a class website is very beneficial for students’ learning.  They are able to easily access the information they need about the class in an organized way in one location.  The website also forms a responsibility over the students for their work; the calendar is provided to eliminate the potential of confusion of important dates and daily assignments.  Parents are also able to access the information published on the website which will help them understand what is going on in the classroom each day and be involved in their child’s education.  The website is an efficient form of communication between the teacher and students that is always accessible.

2 comments:

  1. The idea of having a classroom website is really interesting. Personally, none of the classes in my high school had websites, and it was very frustrating. I would always lose my papers and books, and had no idea when anything was due. But if there was a website for my class, I would be able to simply look and see what I had to do for the next day; it would be so much easier. I really like this idea a lot, especially for students who miss a day of school; it would be so much better for them to make up the work if it was online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really comes in handy with regard to the parents! Having all of the assignments for the parents to view not only makes you seem well prepared, it probably helps your students stay on track depending on their age. I never really had these throughout my years of schooling until I got to college but I wish I did. I would have had no reason to forget about assignments or due dates.

    ReplyDelete